a collection of interesting and not-so-interesting things. including information on current & upcoming projects.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

If on a winter's night a traveler

Life has been stressful and annoying lately, but on the bright side I just received a copy of Italo Calvino's If on a winter's night a traveler which I am very excited to read one day soon. It contains the greatest first paragraph of any book I am aware of:


You are about to begin reading Italo Calvino's new novel, If on a winter's night a traveler. Relax. Concentrate. Dispel every other thought. Let the world around you fade. Best to close the door; the TV is always on in the next room. Tell the others right away, "No, I don't want to watch TV!" Raise your voice -- they won't hear you otherwise -- "I'm reading! I don't want to be disturbed!" Maybe they haven't heard you, with all that racket; speak louder, yell: "I'm beginning to read Italo Calvino's new novel!" Or if you prefer, don't say anything; just hope they'll leave you alone.

1 Comments:

Blogger kaylen said...

so, i picked up some calvino... i've been meaning to forever and since you posted this the day i decided i needed a lump of new novels for the winter...

i like it the best when he asks, "do you have to pee?" and then somehow manages to follow it up.

7:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home